Saturday, January 29, 2011

H&M Cosmetics: Eyeshadows by H&M - Review & Swatches

Slowly but surely, clothing brands are entering the make-up market & you'll see most people are oh-so-skeptical about the fashion houses beauty products.
I admit I've turned my cheek once or twice when I pass by Claire's, Ardene's, Forever 21, and even H&M's cosmetic racks but sometimes... I can't resist. I need my make up fix!

Back in December, I tried my very first H&M Eyeshadow palette. While I didn't fall in love with the palette, I also didn't hate it. It isn't that the palette was a complete dud because it wasn't, the colors just aren't very me. I was pleasantly surprised by the pigmentation (I assumed the eye shadows would apply sheer) but cursed with fall out.
In January, I couldn't help but test my luck again and grabbed yet another "not a very me" palette.
Eye shadows by H&M in Gives Me That Special Glow.


I used the included sponge tip applicator for the swatches but I'm still impressed by the pigmentation these H&M eyeshadow palettes carry. Using a brush causes a bit of powder fluff and again, quite a bit of fall but that isn't what I'm least fond of. Of course, I'm least fond of the price tag; $6.95CAD but I'm just like that. I never like paying over $5 for nearly drugstore-like eyeshadow palettes! I can't help but expect more and no thanks to the powder fluff, fall out, there's still the factor of crumbling. Yes, the eye shadows are also a bit crumbling when I apply too much pressure to the pans. Though that's mostly when I use sponge tip applicators!
Each palette includes 4 eye shadows and at $6.95CAD per palette, it comes out to $1.73CAD per shadow before taxes. Not bad actually!

Bottom line:
I can recommend these eyeshadow palette under two conditions:
1) Use a $5 off coupon (just cause it's a superb deal that way!).
2) Try a palette with colors that you know you'll use. I won't be using the blue in My Summer Romance or Gives Me That Special Glow - waste of $1.73 each, I know!
I surely hope this review helps your decisions in trying H&M Eye shadows!


Happy Shoppin',

6 comments:

Shop N' Chomp said...

They give $5 off coupons? Where can I get one? :)

Ashley said...

I've read H&M gives out $5 off coupons after you spend over $40. I always spend over $40 at H&M so I get the $5 all the time.
Don't forget to download the H&M App if you have an iPod/iPhone!

thomessa said...

I'm always a bit skeptical of buying makeup from clothing brands, but I do like the colors in this H&M palette.

Ashley said...

@thomessa:
Tell me about it! If I was skeptical before I'm twice as much now because of Forever 21. Some of their makeup is their own & then some are just re"designed" makeup from ELF & L.A. Colors manufacturers.

Unknown said...

Nice swatches! The H&M eyeshadows look really pretty! I'm always a little skeptical about clothing stores coming out w/makeup! :p Like Forever 21 :p haha

I really like your blog! :) Glad I stumbled upon it - write soon :) I am your new follower!

Ashley said...

Hi Rainy,
Welcome to my blog and thank you for following<3
It's alright to be skeptical about F21 makeup... the brand is pretty sketchy!
I think I like Topshops makeup line most even though I've never tried them. Unlike other fashion houses, they bring out new makeup collections every season!

Post a Comment

Disclosure

Make-Up Kismet is a personal blog written and edited by myself. This blog was created to share my experiences with whom ever reads it.

All reviews posted are written by me and are my honest opinions. All products reviewed are purchased by me for personal and/or review purposes unless stated otherwise. Each person is different, as are our experiences. With that said, I cannot be held responsible for any unsatisfying reaction to a product I review or recommend.

Photos on this blog are either from Google, other Bloggers or, my own. I try to depict all products as accurately as possible. I may edit photos for this purpose.



 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com