Friday, July 16, 2010

Review: The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

As promised I am back with a review. Did you miss me? I bet you did(n't)... Anyhow it's Friday and it's time to PARTAAAY! I'll just get right to it before I lose your focus.
It's not short and to the point but you can find a shorter less detailed review below (right above the ingredients list!)
 
Here's what you want to know and should know about the Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser by The Body Shop.

Best if you want to:
Soothe your sensitive skin with a mild, soap-free cleansing lotion that gently, but thoroughly, removes make-up and impurities.

How it works:
Preservative-, fragrance-, and dye-free aloe vera hydrates and calms sensitive skin.
Organic Community Trade babassu oil softens skin and helps it retain moisture.
Dermatologist-approved and clinically proven as suitable for sensitive skin
.

A little break down on the ingredients by TBS:
Aloe vera gel has excellent soothing and calming properties.
Babassu Oil (Organic Babassu oil) - nature's best - is a wonderfully light and non-greasy skin moisturizer extracted from the wild-growing babassu palm trees only found in certain area of Brazil and South America.
Sorbital is a water soluble moisturizer that enriches foam and lather.
Panthenol is proven to improve flexibility of the nails, helping to reduce flaking and breakage.
Glycerin is an effective moisturizer which helps improve softness and maximize hydration.

On MakeupAlley (one of the best places to find an overall rating on beauty products) I found The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser had an average rating of 3.2 out of 5 and only 30% of the reviewers would repurchase the cleanser again.
My rating is 4 out of 5 & would I repurchase this cleanser? Yes... As soon as I finish all of my OTHER cleansers but also, not for the full price ($14CAD).
Back in May I went to TBS with a list of things to buy during the 50% off sale with a purchase of a $5 donation basket. This cleanser happened to be on the list so yes, I had intentions to purchase this cleanser.
I chose this specifically because the ingredients in this aloe cleanser were safer than that of the aloe foaming cleanser. After two and a half months, I have finally finished the cleanser! For $14, this doesn't last long and will become cost effective granted I buy it often! I used this every morning and night because it was extremely gentle and I had absolutely no bad side effects. I guess a lot of people find it useless to wash their face with a cleanser in the morning since they technically don't have much on their face during the night but because this was so gentle, it was more satisfying than splashing my face with cold water! 
The Body Shop may say you can remove make-up with this cleanser but because it is soapless don't expect it to remove waterproof eye make-up or heavy foundation and concealer because it won't. On the days I wore make-up I would use the Cucumber Cleansing Milk (also by The Body Shop) and followed with the Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser to ensure my skin was thoroughly cleansed! Since this cleanser is soapless, it is also residue- and lather-free. If you're a foaming freak or love that rich creamy lather, get out of here! I enjoyed the fact that it was a lotion cleanser because I knew it would not strip my skin of its oils. I have extremely dry skin (because I don't drink my 8 cups of water a day!) and even jojoba oil alone cannot cure my dry patches and flaking. With this cleanser, my skin was actually a bit moisturized after washing. You can call that a benefit for sure! My skin is less red & irritated too and I thank Aloe for that.
The downside is that it's not a pump bottle but rather a flip-cap bottle. I find it tedious to flip a cap & then the bottle to get product, don't you?? Anyhow I curbed that issue by transferring all of the cleanser into an empty pump bottle I had laying around. Again, the price isn't budget friendly since it lasts for almost 3 months. If I buy four bottles a year the total cost is $56 not including tax. I suppose it isn't that bad considering some cleansers are in the $20-$100 range... I'm picky! I would still purchase this over a drugstore cleanser anyday, okay??

A shorter less detailed pro's & con's review:
It's gentle enough to use twice daily not to mention moisturizing. Although it's not anti-aging it isn't a damaging product that causes aging! It may not prevent acne or cure it but it doesn't cause break outs (for me atleast). It works just as it promises but it doesn't promise too much. Or maybe that's a good thing... With no pump, this may bug a few people but don't forget that the product is much harder to get once you reach the bottom of  the bottle. With a capped bottle, you can always leave the bottle flipped upside down so the cleanser is easier to get to! Although I do have a list of ingredients I tend to stay away from, I'm not 100% familiar with any ingredient. Paraben haters can rejoice as this cleanser is paraben-free.

Overall, I'm a happy customer! If you decide to try this cleanser, tell me how it goes. If you've tried or are trying the cleanser, tell me how it went or is going. I love comments & it brings me so much joy to know someone is reading!

Thanks for reading,
Ashley.

Ingredients:
Water, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Pentylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cyclomethicone, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Glyceryl Stearate, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Oil, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate
.


P.S. I bought this myself and I'm not being paid for this review. Neither am I affiliated with the company.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disclosure

Make-Up Kismet is a personal blog written and edited by myself. This blog was created to share my experiences with whom ever reads it.

All reviews posted are written by me and are my honest opinions. All products reviewed are purchased by me for personal and/or review purposes unless stated otherwise. Each person is different, as are our experiences. With that said, I cannot be held responsible for any unsatisfying reaction to a product I review or recommend.

Photos on this blog are either from Google, other Bloggers or, my own. I try to depict all products as accurately as possible. I may edit photos for this purpose.



 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com